Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Prayer of Thanksgiving

Yesterday, God granted us rain!

  It worked out that I was able to do my afternoon, backyard chores during the gentle rain, and it was such a blessing to feel that sweet wetness on my skin!  The garden already looks happier.  I set out to find a prayer in thanksgiving for rain.  My search turned up many prayers requesting rain and not a one specifically thanking God for answering the prayer.  There's a lesson for us in there.
There is rain in those clouds!


Rain drops on our tomatoes

For anyone who may have not yet received their long-awaited rain, here's a beautiful Catholic prayer I found in my search:

O God, in Whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us rain, in due abundance, that, being sufficiently helped with temporal, we may the more confidently seek after eternal gifts. Through Christ, our Lord.  Amen.


And, if you, like us, have experienced that long-awaited end to the drought, maybe you'd like to join with me in this simple prayer of thanksgiving . . .

Thank you, Lord, for the rain you sent in answer to our fervent prayer -- for the salvation it provided parts of your creation.
Thank you that you never stop providing. 
Thank you for keeping us ever mindful of our dependence upon you. 
Thank you for the many lessons you teach us through the workings of your creation, if only we have eyes to see and ears to hear you in it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment