Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fruity Chicken Salad Sandwiches

So, I've still got some shredded, cooked chicken in the fridge from the first of our backyard chickens to makes its way to the table.  Determined that this animal not have given its life in vain (it's interesting how slaughtering the chicken yourself will make you much less willing to let the leftovers go bad in the fridge), I sought to find a good recipe for a chicken salad for my lunch plate.  As I'm a sucker for a fruity chicken salad (a la Arby's), I was thrilled to find this recipe, which was just too yummy not to share.
Throw the following into a bowl:
1 c. cooked, shredded chicken
2/3 c. seedless grapes, halved
1 large peach, chopped (about 3/4 c.)
1 medium stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 c.)
1 tsp. chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp. dried mint

Then mix your dressing:
1/3 c. fat-free yogurt
2 Tbs. fat-free mayonnaise

Start by just adding 1/2 the dressing to the salad.  Then, add more to reach the desired consistency.  Chill for 30 minutes or so.  My ingredients were already chilled, so I didn't chill the salad.  It was excellent, but I suspect the mint flavor would've been more present if the flavors had had some fridge time to meld.  (John likes to mock me for how I like to give my cooking flavors time to "meld," but I really do think there's something to it.)



Slap that salad onto some toasted whole-grain bread, add some Veggie Straws (or your favorite chip), and you've got one delicious lunch!

Now, seems like as good a time as any to confess my latest addiction.  I just realized that my Veggie Straw obsession had reached the point of addiction when at the store this week I went ahead and bought a bag even though I already had 1 1/2 bags in the pantry at home.  Why?  "Just in case."  In case of what?  The zombie apocalypse my high school students used to warn me about?  Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to try them, you really should.  (If you don't like them, feel free to deposit the remainder of your bag on my front porch.)  On your local grocery store chip aisle, look up high (very high -- so high that I, a very tall gal, have to stand tippy-toe to reach them) near the other specialty/healthy chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment