Saturday, June 2, 2012

What to Do with Rainbow Chard?

Confession time . . . Before growing it in my own garden, I'd never before tasted Rainbow Swiss Chard. 


In my defense, have you ever seen the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalog? 

When the girls get their allowance, it seems to burn holes in their pockets.  They virtually chuck it away at the first quarter machine that crosses their path.  So, we instituted a new rule.  They're only allowed to spend money on items they went into the store intending to purchase.  That has seemed to solve a lot of problems for us.  Want gum now that you're seeing it in the checkout line?  Have a look.  Decide which kind you want so that you can buy it next time we're here.  

I think I need to go by similar guidelines myself when it's time to shop the seed catalog.  Before I open the catalog and indulge myself in those glossy photos of heirloom fruit, I should make a list of the items I know I want to grow.  Then, and only then, should I open the catalog and make my selections, sticking to the list, of course.  

Since I didn't follow these guidelines, I have a lovely crop of Rainbow Chard and no idea what to do with it.  When leaves were young and tender, we used them in fresh salads.  I've tried a few recipes (like the previously posted soup) and a more recent Chard with Pinto Beans and Goat Cheese (pictured below) that was lackluster at best.  


I mean, it was beautiful in the catalog, in the garden, on the cutting board, in the casserole dish, on the plate.  But, other than the soup and salad, I'm just ill-equipped for getting this beautiful green to the table.  Suggestions? 


No comments:

Post a Comment