Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Frozen Yogurt (New and Improved)

Last year, I posted this recipe for strawberry frozen yogurt.  And, while this recipe does make a very yummy product, I've found a new one that is more resourceful, so I thought I'd pass it along.

The problem with the old recipe is that it calls for sweetened condensed milk.  This product can get pricey when you're throwing in 3 cans per batch of yogurt. I love the new basic recipe because it uses plain 'ole sugar as the sweetener.  The recipe calls for "caster sugar," which is basically sugar that has been processed so that it's consistency is somewhere between that of granulated sugar and powdered sugar.  This just-right sugar helps the yogurt to freeze into a nice consistency.  I didn't have any caster sugar, so I made my own.  You can do the same.  Just whirl your granulated sugar around in your food processor for a minute or two, allow the dust to settle before removing the lid, and, voila!, caster sugar!  I processed a bunch and keep it in a mason jar in the pantry so that it's always ready for a batch of yogurt.

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
2 cups (or 16 oz.) yogurt

4-5 tbsp cocoa powder

1/2 cup caster sugar (or to taste)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp salt



Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

2 cups (or 16 oz) yogurt

1/2 cup caster sugar (or to taste)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

1 cup fresh/frozen strawberries, pureed  (You can basically sub in any fruit here.  

We've done a batch of mixed berries that turned out great!)


What I love about this recipe is that you can just play with it.  Here is a mid-process batch of lime frozen yogurt.  (John loves those Edy's frozen lime bars, so I thought I'd try this for him.)  I basically used the fruit recipe above (minus the vanilla) and added frozen limeade concentrate in place of the fruit.  

You can double or triple the recipe to make a decent-sized batch.  Just combine all ingredients and process in your ice-cream maker like you would ice-cream.  Enjoy!

Thank you to "To Food with Love" for the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment