Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Sweetest Cantaloupe I've Ever Tasted!

Please don't tell Girl 1.  Her cantaloupe are great, really.  But they don't even compare to this.  In fact, no cantaloupe I've ever tasted can compare to this.

I hadn't planned on planting any cantaloupe in my portion of the garden this year, but then Baker Creek sent me this free gift.  How could I not try them?  Their description:  "This wonderful variety has become very rare.  The fruit have netted skin and light green flesh that is firm, sweet and highly perfumed. Productive plants can be trained up a trellis."



I'd never even tasted a green-fleshed cantaloupe.  Apparently, Thomas Jefferson grew this very heirloom variety in his 1794 garden!

It's French name means "green fleshed pineapple."  If you order from Baker Creek (and you should), make a note of this variety for next year.  You won't be sorry!

To purchase, check this out!

2 comments:

  1. What's the best way you keep rabbits/voles/other varmits from eating/digging in your garden? I don't want to put a fence around it and I question some of the "pest" sprays sold at big box stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm just getting back to you. No, I've not had trouble yet with these particular critters (knock on wood). This is probably not very helpful to you with your already-established garden, but my raised-bed books suggest putting chicken wire under the bed before adding your fill soil. This keeps burrowers from coming in the bottom of the bed. I suspect my legion of backyard cats help out here a bit, too. It's been quite awhile since I've seen an uninvited mouse, squirrel, snake, or rabbit. Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck. If you figure out a good solution, I'd love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete