Friday, March 1, 2013

Lenten Week 2 Re-cap

As the blog will be silent tomorrow in honor of the National Day of Unplugging, I wanted to go ahead and give a quick re-cap of this week's Lenten focus on Loving Neighbors. 

This week, I was able to commit a RAK (random act of kindness) for at least one person per day.  And, is nearly always the case, I was so blessed in the giving.  I did find that it helped me to get outside myself a bit, which is, of course, always a good thing.

Also, this week, we'd planned to donate money to Heifer International to help feed neighbors far away.  While I do love Heifer and support their efforts at various times throughout the year, I happened to receive a plea from Action Against Hunger in the mail this week and thought it serendipitous.  According to TearFund, "The world produces enough food for everyone, but not everyone has enough food. . . . At the moment 1 in every 8 people globally goes to sleep hungry every night, and 2.8 million children die from malnutrition each year."  Action Against Hunger claims that $35 is the cost of saving a life.  That amount covers the nutritional needs and medical treatment involved in the first and most crucial month in the life of an undernourished infant.

Now, on to next week . . . Caring for the earth.  It's not going to be easy to stick to the sacrifices I have in mind for this one!  Check back Monday to read up on the weekly Lenten focus.  Enjoy your Day of Unplugging tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment