Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Makeup-less Week

So, as part of my Lenten observance and Walking Humbly, this week I wore no makeup.  At all.  Anywhere.  And, I didn't just hide out in the house either.  Among other things, I ran about 8 shopping errands, sang in front of my church, ran kids to various activities, and today will host a birthday party.  I had countless conversations with others.  And, here's my big revelation . . . the most shocking and potentially life-changing thing I learned . . . are you ready for it?

Here it is . . .

No one's paying as much attention to me as I thought they were. 

Duh, right? 

But, here's the thing:  why would I be hesitant to leave the house bare-faced?  Because of what others might think of me?  But, that's just it . . . they aren't thinking of me.  What do they care?

I look in the mirror and see the zit on my chin, the scars on my cheeks, the too-large pores, the bags under my eyes, my non-existent eyelashes, and lips the same color as my skin -- sounds awful, right?  But, I am my harshest critic.  And, why in the world should I let these things bother me if they don't seem to bother anyone else?

It's really freeing really.  Here's the honest truth, it wasn't until we were at church Wednesday night, about to go up and perform a special that John looked at me and said, "You're not wearing any makeup, are you?  Is this the week you're giving that up?"

Wednesday, people! 

My own husband! 

And I'm worried about what others might think? 

Watch out world!  I may just start wearing sweatpants everywhere I go!  I guess there's no need to warn you, though, because you won't even notice!

This week, Little Boy greeted me each morning with the same words he used last week:  "Momma, I love you.  You are the best Momma."  Sure, I know that the subtext is, "Aren't I sweet?  Don't you want to get me some breakfast now?"  But, the point is, I'm the same Momma this week that I was last week.  The people in my life who matter at all don't care a lick what I look like.  They do care about how I act, what I say, what I stand for . . .whether or not I get them breakfast. 

Ahhh.  Now there's the challenge.  A bad attitude or sour spirit cannot be masked by a little concealer.  Now that I know no one is paying much attention to my outside, it's time to spend a little less time making it up and a little more time developing a heart like Jesus.  Ultimately, that's Who I want people to see when they look at me anyway.

1 comment:

  1. This would be so hard for me! I love this post! What great points.

    ReplyDelete