Saturday, October 6, 2012

Berry Blessings

With tonight's first frost forecast for our region, this may be my last breakfast of champions for awhile. 
What could be better than a big bowlful of granola, backyard strawberries, homemade goat milk yogurt, and a drizzle of honey?

I feel pretty spoiled that I've gotten to eat this for breakfast as often as I have since spring.  It seems that these berries just kept on producing.  They took a brief break during the hottest weeks of the summer, but for the most part they've produced for months. 

I wish I remembered what variety they are.  I do know that they're a very tender berry that would never make it to market.  They're at once sweet and tart, but they bruise easily -- even just in transport from the yard to the kitchen and are best eaten immediately after picking.

What's the saying?  "There are two things in life that money can't buy:  love and homegrown tomatoes."  I'd add backyard berries to the list. 
 Farewell, sweet berries, until next spring.  You'll be greatly missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment