Thursday, August 9, 2012

CrockPot Italian Chicken

Okay, this picture doesn't do this dish justice, so maybe just ignore the photo.  This great-tasting recipe is super easy for two reasons:
1. it's made in the CrockPot
2. It has 4 ingredients total

I have Rachael, a friend and fellow mom in the local mom social group that Little Boy and I attend, to thank for inspiring this great dinner.  Many thanks, Rachael!

Start with a chicken.  Don't be afraid.  Embarrassingly, I didn't know how to properly cut up a whole chicken into the 8 principle cuts: 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 legs, 2 breasts.  I turned to Google and found this great video.  If you, too, are ill-equipped, no one has to know.  Just check out the link and consider yourself educated.  If you just aren't sure about dealing with the whole bird, you can always just throw in a few chicken breasts, (you weenie!).

Plop your 8 chicken pieces into the CrockPot and cover it with a bottle of your favorite Italian dressing.  If you've got all day to let it cook, cook on low.  If you only have 4 hours or so, cook on high. 
An hour before dinnertime, pick your bones out (there should just be 6, if you've cut it up right) and throw in a block of cream cheese.  I actually used 8 oz. of my homemade goat cheese which easily subs in for ricotta and cream cheese in recipes.

Cook up some rice on the stovetop. 

**For perfect rice everytime, make it Mamaw Carroll style:
Bring water, a dab of oil, and a dab of vinegar to a boil (use plenty of water, you'll be draining it off).  Add rice, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Drain.  Rinse.  Drain again. Voila!  Perfect rice!  Everytime!

Serve chicken mixture atop the rice.  Yummmmm!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me. I am going to make it again. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, Ash. I'm guessing the chicken is skinless since you skin yours. I'm glad Mom taught me how to make perfect rice too. She has taught me so much the last 37 years. Will have to try this recipe very soon.

    ReplyDelete