Friday, April 12, 2013

DIY Trail Mix

I walked in to pick Little Boy up from therapy the other day and heard him telling his teacher, "I got trail mix at home!  It's super yummy!"  The boy loves his trail mix!
At $6.00 for a small bag, though, it gets pretty costly pretty quickly.
One of his favorite mixes is the Great Value Indulgent Trail Mix.  A quick inventory of the ingredients led me to the conclusion that I could mix it up myself for a fraction of the cost and less sodium. 

I purchased the following for my mix:
dark chocolate chips
peanut butter chips
peanuts (reduced salt)
almonds (raw, unsalted)
cashews
raisins (regular and golden)
Notice there's no prep involved here at all.  You're just throwing your ingredients into a mixing bowl.  The ratios are entirely up to you.  Just play with it to get the taste combo you love.  The Indulgent mix has white chocolate chips in it, too, but Girl 1 doesn't like them (Weird, I know), so we left those out.

My batch cost me $16 and easily made 4 times the amount of the $6 bag from Wal-Mart.  That comes in at an $8 savings for about 30-seconds-worth of work! 


No comments:

Post a Comment