Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday: Sweet Chops

I love sweetly flavored meats (that's why we'll be doing a Hawaiian Chicken in a few days), so I was intrigued by this Sweet Chops recipe as soon as I saw the brown sugar and honey in the recipe. 

Start by putting 4-6 pork chops (I used bone-in because that's what I already had, but I wouldn't think it matters.) in the bottom of your slow cooker.




Then, mix up the following and pour over the top of chops:
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. ketchup
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp. ground ginger
some freshly ground pepper
pinch of salt

Cook on low for 6 hours or so.  Be sure the internal temp of your chops reaches 160 degrees.

A few minutes before serving, remove the chops and thicken the remaining sauce with 2 tsp. cornstarch.  Serve chops atop rice, smothered in sauce.  Yum!


Cost analysis?  Besides having to send the hubby to the store for a last minute jar of ground ginger (what happened to all my ginger?), we didn't have to buy any of the other ingredients for the sauce as they are staples at our house, so estimating the cost is difficult.  But including rice and a dinner salad, my best guess is that the meal cost $10.44 -- $2.09 per person.

It was absolutely yummy!  I was a big fan, as was John.  Though they weren't turning somersaults, the kids ate it okay, which is not a complete failure in my book.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment