Saturday, June 29, 2013

"I Got Da Peas!"

Little Boy loves to harvest peas.  Nearly every trip to the backyard (and there are lots of them) ends with two grubby fistfuls of peas mounded on the kitchen counter.  
One of my favorite ways to eat them is in pasta.  And, while I try not to promote a lot of packaged products, I've got to admit I am loving this store-bought pasta.
First of all, check out that price.  This Parmesan-filled tortellini is shelf-stable and and be found right next to spaghetti and other pasta.
To prep, just toss the tortellini into a pot of well-salted, boiling water.  Once it's boiled for 10 minutes, go ahead and throw in your fresh veggies.  I call this particular meal Summer Solstice Pasta because sugar snap peas (a spring veggie) will only overlap with squash (a summer veggie) for a couple weeks right at the beginning of summer, if you're lucky.  
Once the pasta has cooked for 10 minutes, add the bite-sized veggies and boil another 5 minutes or until fork-tender.   

Once strained, I added a couple glugs of olive oil, a dash of lemon juice,  freshly-ground pepper, salt, and toasted almonds to create a dish that allows the veggies to taste like veggies and really speaks to the bounty of summer!

The beauty of this pasta, though, is its flexibility.  We made it another time with zucchini and green beans, and it, too, was delicious.  I'm already drooling over the tomato/basil combination I'm hoping to throw together later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment