Monday, January 21, 2013

Plum Jelly: Day 2

Okay.  This post is pretty lame.  I'll just admit that now.  I mean, for starters, this is the only pic I got of Plum Jelly Day 2.

And, I can't even seem to figure out how to rotate it.

Here's the deal.  Jessica and I were having so much fun chatting, we were doing good to get the jelly done.  Timers were going off left and right, and we were just chatting away, completely disregarding directions like boil for exactly 1 minute.  It wasn't until we were finished that I remembereed that I should've been taking pics along the way.  Amazingly, the finished product was great despite our lack of attention to the project at hand. ;)

Since the juice was ready for us, the process was really pretty simple.

Bring 4 c. juice and 6.5 c. sugar (yes, you read that right) to a rolling boil.  Then, add one pouch of fruit pectin.  Bring back to a boil and boil rapidly "for exactly one minute."  Fill your pre-warmed jars and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  Done!

It really is delicious.  Sometimes, jelly just tastes like sugar to me (which is understandable considering how much sugar it contains).  But, this one is really tasty because you can still taste the tartness of the plums through the sugar. 

Thanks, Jessica for hosting Little Boy and I for our Plum Jelly Playdate!  We had such a good time with you guys. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for juicing all those plums and brining your canner, I need to get one soon! We had lots of fun visiting with y'all!

    ReplyDelete