Monday, March 5, 2012

DIY Tooth Powder

It occurred to me this morning as I was brushing my teeth that I haven't yet blogged about this most amazing homemade product!  Now, I admit, tooth powder is not for everyone.  After all, it is not a paste, so that will turn some people off, but hear me out. 

Why should you consider switching to the DIY tooth powder?

1. It's crazy cheap.  We're talking pennies a jarful (once you've got your jar).
2.  It does an excellent job cleaning.  John and I have both been using this for a couple months now.  I had remarked early on that I felt it was getting my teeth cleaner than our good 'ole paste.  And, when John went to the dentist and confessed that he'd not really been flossing, the dental tech was surprised by his confession because his teeth looked so clean; she never would've guessed he'd not been flossing.
3.  Have you ever noticed that lots of the toothpastes marketed for whitening also tout that they contain baking soda?  Well, my teeth are markedly whiter since I've been using this powder.
4.  You may think I'm grasping at straws here, but when you use this product, your spit is acting as a twice daily drain cleaner.  Baking soda is a key ingredient in most green drain cleaning solutions, so with each brushing, you're working to undo the hair clog that may be building up down the line.

Convinced?  Here's how to make it.  It's very complicated (**read with heavy sarcasm**).
Gather up you baking soda, peppermint extract, and a jar of baby food.  Yes, it must be mashed green beans.  Only kidding.  In fact, any small empty jar you have lying around will do.
Fill your clean and dry jar to nearly full with baking soda and add a few drops of peppermint extract.  Shake.  Yep, it's that easy.

How do you use it?  Each person using the tooth powder needs his own jar (to make things more sanitary).  When you're ready to brush, run your toothbrush under running water and dip it into your jar of powder.  This will cause just the right amount of powder to stick to your brush.  Brush your teeth as you normally would.  If it feels a bit too grainy for your liking, add some water by running your brush under the water again.  Rinse your brush, and you're done.

Disclaimer**  I will say that if you have very sensitive teeth, this powder may not be for you as the baking soda may be too abrasive.  Also, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for kids.  First off, I think that putting glass jars in my kids' bathroom and asking them to handle them is just a mistake.  Secondly, after seeing what they are capable of with baby powder, I shudder to think what kind of "artwork" they could dream up with baking soda.  And, thirdly, if you live somewhere without fluoridated water, as I do, the kiddos probably need the fluoride provided in lots of kid-friendly toothpastes.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment